There was a preacher in a church who said, “This church, like the crippled man, has got to get up and walk!” The members shouted, “That’s right. Let’s walk!” “This church,” he continued, “like Elijah on Mount Carmel, has got to run!” “Let it run, preacher!” thundered the people in response. “This church has got to mount on wings like eagles and fly!” And they said, “Let it fly!” But when the preacher said, “If it flies, it takes money” the people shouted, “Let it walk!”
Checklist on Crooked and Straight Preachers
- Miss the mark.
- Swerve from truth.
- Undermine faith.
- Answer useless questions.
- Corrupt God’s Word.
- Make a trade peddling a weakened Word.
- Mix the impure with pure.
- Shortchange the message.
- Promote truth decay.
- Turn families away from the right way.
- Distort the Word.
- Handle God’s Word deceitfully.
- Fly on the winds of every doctrine.
- Preach the Word.
- Declare the whole counsel of God.
- Guard the truth.
- Teach doctrine.
- Continue in the apostle’s doctrine.
- Speak truth in love.
- Keep nothing back.
- Charge others to teach no other doctrine.
There is a famine in the land (Amos 8:11). People are looking for truth. Can they count on you? Will you be a crooked preacher or a truth preacher? Reform is needed. The choice is yours; the end results are without comparison.